1. Don’t throw away dryer sheets once you’re done with them – use them to clean your baseboards instead.
2. Clean your sponge by throwing it in the microwave for 30 seconds to kill any lurking bacteria.
3. Use WD-40 to clean stainless steel appliances. It can also remove shoe streaks from tile and wood flooring.
4. Keep your sneakers looking new by scrubbing them with toothpaste from time to time.
5. Bread isn’t just for eating – you can use it to pick up miniscule pieces of broken glass or set it on top of a cake fresh from the oven to keep the cake perfectly moist.
6. Don’t have the time (or space) to pull out the iron? Use a hair straightener to smooth over any wrinkles before you run out the door.
7. Magic Erasers really are magic – use them to clean basically everything!
8. Need your clothes to dry faster than the eta on the dryer? Toss a dry terrycloth towel in the mix.
9. Make store bought cookie dough mix taste more like homemade by adding in a bit of cinnamon.
10. Use Scotch tape to make a grid over the top of your vase before inserting flowers to keep stems exactly where you want them.
11. Those over-the-door shoe hangers make great snack pockets to amplify your pantry space.
12. Add a second shower curtain rod to your shower for storage space. Use “S” hooks with clips to hang up stuff that normally clutters up the edges of the shower.
13. Soften up the gunk in your microwave before you clean it out by heating up a glass of water in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
14. Cut a lemon in half and use the insides to clean hard water stains off faucets in sinks, tubs, and showers. You can also squeeze the juice out, add a little bit of baking soda to it, and use it to remove rust. Toss the lemons in the microwave first for about 20 seconds to optimize the amount of juice you’ll get out of them.
15. Put a magnetic strip on the inside of a bathroom drawer to keep bobby pins from taking over the space.
16. Remove fake drawers from under the sink in your kitchen and put in a dowel to hold paper towel rolls.
17. Put a Lazy Susan under the sink to keep things accessible.
18. Keep your fridge full – it will cut down on your energy bills.
19. Put a rubber band in between a stripped screw and your screw driver to have better control over the screw.
20. Don’t throw away all that trash – check out this Country Living article on trash you could be selling on eBay.
21. Stop spending money on fabric softener and use distilled white vinegar instead.
22. Use an egg slicer for more than just eggs – you can slice kiwi, strawberries, avocado, mushrooms, and pears with it! Just make sure you clean it in between uses.
23. Put cooked chicken into a mixer for some hands-free shredding.
24. Fix scratches in your wood floors and furniture by rubbing a shelled walnut over it.
25. Throw some marshmallows in with your brown sugar to keep it soft and clump-free.
26. Use a pizza cutter to slice herbs like a pro.
27. The sticky side of a Post-It note makes a great dust collector for keyboards.
28. Stuff newspaper into your shoes to dry them out and remove any odors.
29. Wipe your windows and mirrors with newspaper to avoid any lint leftovers.
30. Use empty toilet paper rolls to wrap and store extension cords.
31. Put rubber gloves (or old shoes) on the ends of a ladder to keep from scuffing the wall.
32. Heat up those annoyingly sticky price stickers with a hairdryer to make them easier to remove.
33. Aerate your wine much faster by putting it in the blender for 60 seconds.
34. Get rid of grease stains with chalk.
35. Leave a wooden spoon across the top of a pot water to keep it from boiling over.
For more useful home hacks, check out www.homehacks.com.